As part of our strategic plan, HePDO work in partnership with community groups to promote disease prevention and control in particular Tuberculosis. HePDO had intervened in several settlements and communities conducting Information Education Communication (IEC) and Behavioral Change Communication (BCC) support strategies to prevent and control TB.
Our intervention is focused on:
- Training and sensitization of vulnerable communities in the swampy areas of the Gambia in particular Kanifing Municipal Council
- Mobilizing and Screening people at community level
- Counseling and referral suspected TB individuals for testing at established TB treatment centers
Some of the key activities we conduct in our intervention strategy include:
- Training opinion leaders, women leaders, School peer health educators and workplace reps on TB case detection, counseling and referral
- Conducting sensitization sessions for youths, household heads (Men and women), kabilo reps, Teachers, owners of permanently crowded places (night clubs and video clubs), Traditional Communicators and drama groups on TB.
- Conducting public awareness on TB using community radios, SMS.
- Conducting focus group discussions, open field days, drama plays and film shows
- Conducting mass and voluntary screening of people so as to detect TB cases
- Conducting counseling services to suspected TB persons after screening and refer them for prompt treatment at TB centers.